Other crap that's on my mind.

A website about things you probably don't care about, but I do so shove it.

Friday, October 12, 2007

Not as good as Rushmore...

I saw The Darjeeling Limited last night. It was a free screening (of course) and we had to wait in line for an hour. No need to worry, as I always come prepared with crossword puzzles and fun games. The couple next to us also thought ahead as well and played some rummy type game with miniature cards. Aren't we the smartest (or most impatient)?

I didn't know what to expect from this movie. I heart Wes Anderson, but hated his last movie. The word around the street was that this would be more like The Royal Tenenbaums so I was happy to wait the hour and then sit another two hours with a bunch of germ infested people (hello sick season).

I liked this movie.

Shocker right? After a long line of bad movies, finally something worthy to write about. I didn't say I loved it. Believe me, it's no Rushmore. But I liked it. I would suggest others to waste their $10 to see it.

Of course with the good, comes the bad. And I'm much better at explaining the bad points. So with that, there were two that I noticed.

1. The slow motion. Wes Anderson seems to love this effect. It can be good at times. I loved the scene in The Royal Tenenbaums when Gwennie comes out of the bus to meet with the hotter Wilson brother. It works. The music works with it. There's a reason for the slow motion. But TDL seemed to do it just because. Maybe to stretch out the time? Or because he wanted to play a song a little longer? Who knows. It seemed to be pointless at times and this, of course, irked me.

2. The laughing. I'm not sure if people at screenings are just so pumped to see a movie for free that they'll laugh at anything, or if the people in this theater were stupid, or if the people in this theater thought they were watching a Will Ferrell flick but they laughed at everything. Sometimes to the point of me not understanding what the next line was, which is most irritating.

Don't get me wrong. This was a funny movie. But Wes Anderson and his writer friends are a different type of funny. A subtle funny. The kind of funny I love. So I just didn't understand why so many people were going crazy over this. It almost made me mad that they were laughing as much as they were. They should just chuckle. A snicker maybe. But not laugh out loud in unison. Ugh.

So there you have it. A bad review for a good movie.

Till Monday.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home