Other crap that's on my mind.

A website about things you probably don't care about, but I do so shove it.

Friday, June 13, 2008

Mommy and Me

My Mom and I are very different. And this is exemplified when we go on a vacation to NYC. She gets too tired, too old, too hot, too whatever. That's why next year - even though we had a good time, saw her old school, her first apartment, where she met my Dad, saw Sex and the City, Strawberry Fields, ate a great big piece of pizza and even went to a Yankees game before they tear down the stadium - we promised each other to go somewhere more relaxing. Like Maine or Colorado. A place where she doesn't have to walk or do anything at all except maybe get a massage. And that's perfectly fine by me.

With that said, here are some pictures from our trip. Don't get too hot looking at them. It was only 97 degrees when we were there.


She was very excited to show me where she lived. It was cute.



At the Yankees game with Jerry, our gracious host for the week.



The Mom's high school, blocked by a fence to keep people like my Mom from getting back in.



You know when you ask someone where the best black and white cookie may be, and they highly suggest a chain bakery? Well, we didn't realize Zaro's was a chain until we got there and I was just not impressed at all. It was like going to Fridays for a filet mignon. So I tried to erase this little mishap from my mind and went to a place I knew would carry a black and white that would be suitable to my snobby taste buds. Simply put, all I had to do was go to a local Jewish bakery. Duh!



Indeed, it was hot. 95 degrees on this particular day. We would find shelter, though, in the coolest of places like Grand Central Station or the New York Public Library.



This was the one thing I really cared about seeing. Sure, I didn't shed a tear when we saw Sex and the City and my Mom thinks I have no heart at all (actually, I think those were the exact cruel words she used) but just being near the construction of the World Trade Center site made me think about all the times I had gone there when it was there. I loved this place, the sphere that used to be here. I would buy tix here. I would go up top to see the view. I would just sit here all the time. So when I came back, for the first time in about 8 years, I cried like a baby. Because, even if some stupid movie can't get it up for me, it's the real shit that does.



This was something The Mom had to see. I didn't mind, because a) it's right next to Columbia and b) it's right next to my favorite pizza joint!



Which brings me to this perfect picture of the Mom enjoying an extra cheese slice twice the size of her face.



The guy actually forgot to make me pay, and normally I'd just say aha! I got a free meal, but considering my Mom insisted on paying for practically everything on this trip I felt I should splurge the $11 and tell the dude that I NEED to pay.



And this was our bathroom, in Jerry and Fran's apartment that they've lived in for FIFTY YEARS! It hasn't changed one bit.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

glad I got to see you when you were here! Hopefully I will see you again in about a month when I am in your neck of the woods. Oh, and that bathroom is to die for.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Barrie said...

always good to see you maya. i really needed that saki and a fast walker to keep up with me.

hope to see you in seattle next month. even if it's just for lunch or something quick.

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home