Other crap that's on my mind.

A website about things you probably don't care about, but I do so shove it.

Friday, November 02, 2007

Art by LA.

Yesterday was better than other days. I went to see Murakami at the Moca. It was pretty damn impressive and if you're in LA I highly recommend it. The guy is a trip and a genius. Especially for selling all those Louis Vuitton bags for more than my rent. You should've seen how many people walked out with $500 calendars. Oh,LA how you waste your money.

The best part was that I got to go through all these different sectors of LA. First, I went through boring El Segundo, then some Japanese looking town, then through some sketchy area with bars on anything that had a window and then I went through a downtown looking area and finally ended up in Little Toyko, which was by far my favorite. I may even go back this weekend to see the Giant Robot exhibit. That is if I want to deal with driving an hour to get there. We'll see, it's a possibility.

So I guess this means LA wins this one. While Seattle has great exhibits and a brand spankin' new oversized museum, I think LA will have more to offer in the art department.

Seattle 2 LA 1

Onto other news, I'd love to find out what some non-touristy things there are to do around these parts. I'll make it to the Hollywood sign and I'm sure I'll see Brad and Angelina eventually, but what else is there to do around here? I need links people. Not just of restaurants. I wanna know where the indie, unusual movie theaters are at. Great hikes that don't require a 2 hour drive to get there. Some weird alley that has cool shit in it (there's one in Ann Arbor, where a guy does Michael Jackson dances all day long. Not for money or anything, cause that would be too weird. He's kinda near Urban Outfitters for my Michigander readers). Um, good comic book stores. Pretty libraries. Yarn stores that aren't too snobby or expensive. Anything.

I tried going on AskMeta, but did you know you have to pay $5 to join? What a crock of shit. Isn't that what ads are for, so that we people don't have to pay.

So I'm coming to you folks. Any links of your favorite places would be much appreciated.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger imran said...

fun sushi-crazy fish beverly hills (not as expensive as it sounds)

art and kitch/vintage finds- la luz de jesus http://www.laluzdejesus.com/

quite place to eat a bag lunch and see some modern art-the hammer museum in westwood.

comic book stores-red apple and hi di ho are pretty good to nerd out in.

toy store that'll make a nerd like me broke-puzzle zoo on the promenade.

classic car museum that makes even a person who hates cars want to have the sexy time on one-the peterson. http://www.petersen.org/

cool place to see a movie-its walking distance from my place so i frequent it, the majestic crest theater on westwood. classic theater where they premiered some of the biggest movies in hollywood history (for film nerds). also they have part of the los angeles film festival there every year.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I haven't lived in LA for going on 16 years, damn I'm getting old.

I highly recommend Landmark's Nuart Theatre in Santa Monica.

You're out in Venice? I really don't know much out there...I grew up on the other side of the tracks--the neighborhood with the bars on the windows may have been mine...10 minutes east of Downtown LA. Pasadena was the place of used bookstores, cool coffee houses, Aardvarks, Penny Lane and Moby Discs. And more recently yarn.

My friend lives/works/writes in la, you can check out his blog and maybe get a more recent list:
http://mondoricko.blogspot.com/

5:08 PM  
Blogger none said...

comic book store: meltdown comics. never been, but apparently THE BEST comic book store. whatev. my friend owns an art gallery/bookstore in Alhambra (awful place but gotta love the Chinese food), gallerynucleus.com. i am almost always there on any given day. hang out one day!

music: amoeba records. that is all ya need to know.

theaters: laemmle in pasadena, arclight in hollywood, and supposedly there's an awesome one in beverly hills...will update you later.

...and so much more.

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home