Other crap that's on my mind.

A website about things you probably don't care about, but I do so shove it.

Friday, January 11, 2008

28 and counting...

I'm back from a whirlwind of funness. In a matter of weeks I've been in Los Angeles, Seattle, Fort Lauderdale and Bogota. Whew.

But as a result of all my crazy adventures, I'm not sick, but I am tired. I decided that I'm not gonna look for a new apartment or job until I'm 29, which is on Sunday.

So with my birthday approaching I always like to reflect on what's happened and how I've grown that year. With that said:

-I visited, worked, played in Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Boston, Fort Lauderdale, The Everglades, Bogota, Eso (a very small town in Colombia), Madrid, Seville and a tiny city in Portugal called Tavira.

-My mom came to visit me for the first time in 4 years! I needed this. I loved her for flying all the way to Seattle. And loved her more for loving Seattle and actually slightly considering moving here one day. Even though I know she wouldn't be able to tolerate the cold, it's nice to know that she loved this city as much as I do.

-I camped at Mount Rainier and a few other breathtaking places around Washington.

-I discovered how much I really do love hiking. I went on so many canyons, trails, hikes, what have you, in Los Angeles that I decided I need to continue this path more in Seattle. Especially since around Seattle, there's like a trail just about everywhere.

-I started to knit so much more. And thanks to RAVELRY, I've met people just like me who understand that knitting is a cool, fun hobby and would never, ever make fun of me for doing it.

-I got to see my two dear friends get married.

-I talked to my dad twice. Neither conversations were great, but it was something I felt I should do. Beh.

-I got laid off! And couldn't have been happier. Since I found out, I haven't been too worried. I think I broke down on the first day from sheer shock of why me? But after that, I've been panic free. I've made money. I've totally landed on my feet. And I was just thinking that if this had happened to me 5 years ago, I might've acted differently, maybe insecure, maybe worried about how I'll be able to pay off loans, rent, credit cards. Now I feel relieved, refreshed, renewed. I've been given a chance to freelance, to think of maybe other things I want to do with my life, and also just relax. Not sure how long this work free life I'll be able to afford. Maybe a few more months? Half a year? But either way, getting the boot was the bestest. And I'm enjoying every minute of it.

-I met a boy, whom I like. A lot. He makes me laugh every day. And I hope I do the same for him.

-I talked my way out of two tickets this year!

-I found out I'm getting kicked out of my apartment due to a Subway system being built in its place. Some might think, god that fucking sucks. And in a way it does because this apartment has meant a lot to me. Not only is it just beautiful, but it's also my very first grown-up, no roommates allowed apartment. I got to decorate it how I want it, and I get to run around naked (even though I don't). The good news about this building getting demolished is that I'm getting lots of money because of it. I mean lots. So really I can't complain. Because moving from this perfect building is gonna pay off a student loan.

-I paid off my last credit card a month ago. It only took 7 years to go into $12,000 of debt and 3 years to pay it off. Now it's all gone and I don't regret any of it. I'm just glad I can put $600 more toward the principles of my 3 loans now.

-I tried Ethiopian food for the first time and LOVED it. Especially their wine. There's a great place across the street from me, and whenever I feel like something special I go there.

-I actually attempted to play tennis. I realized I suck at it, but still enjoyed running around, trying to hit balls.

-I fucking worked out with RICHARD SIMMONS!!!

-I watched less TV this year then ever before. Don't get me wrong. I'm still a fan of crap, but if I miss an episode I don't care as much. Life will still go on.

-I had an abnormal pap smear and was so happy to find out that nothing is wrong with me. At least in that area. For now.

-I didn't see any movies this year that I would want to own. I liked Juno and Pan's Labyrinth (was that this year?). And I especially love Juno's soundtrack, but honestly I've been unimpressed with movies in general for the last few years.

-I saw A LOT of music. Thanks to one of the clients at the old job, I received many perks. Free concerts, free shirts, free 3-day festivals, free private sessions with Camera Obsurca. But even beyond all that, being in Seattle means you're always surrounded by something good to listen to. And if I do move from here, I'll miss that so much.

-I went to a Stitch and Pitch! That basically means I actually went to a baseball game and enjoyed myself.

-I had an In and Out burger. I consider this fast food, which means this was the first time in maybe 4 years that I ate something that was wrapped in paper. And even though everyone told me that In and Out isn't technically fast food, I personally thought it was pretty gross and tasted just like any other fast food burger - it was all just in a cleaner environment.

-I laughed, cried and tried not to yell. I bought clothes not on sale, my first digital camera and an internet connection. I sold my first computer and got my first laptop. I've read countless books and decided that my new favorite is The Time Traveller's Wife. I saw Miranda July. I got into Vice and Giant Robot more. I cooked. I threw up. I got sick again. And then again. I found my grandpa's United States Navy card and saw my mom's name on a tombstone. I went to the Puyallup Fair and Maris Farms to watch pigs race. I dealt with a guy who had a crush on me. I gambled. I attempted dating on the internet. I danced. I saw old friends. I got bruises and cuts and scars that won't disappear. I noticed wrinkles. I smoked on the roof of my apartment building and saw a fox on Mount Rainier. I saw waterfalls and helped Dominic eat a damn good cherry pie at the Twin Peaks diner. I got drunk. I fell down. I rode bikes and ran for 30 straight minutes without totally losing my breath. I kissed and loved and had a grand ol' time.

And I can't wait to see what 29 brings me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an awesome post. Kudos on the credit card stuff, I'm right there with you -- way too fast on the build up, not fast enough on the payoff. But what a feeling.

Happy Birthday, tomorrow. Good luck as a 29 year old.

6:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great geat post how wondeful it is o be 29 & in your shoes enjoy it all happy birthday & have wonderful & safe 2008

7:27 AM  
Blogger brit! said...

happy birthday dearest (tomorrow). i'm so glad we met this year and i got to do so much of the stuff on your list with you. i have your birthday present- i'll put it in the mail soon. just think of it as an extended birthday- you get to celebrate 'til the gifts stop arriving. i knew you'd love the juno soundtrack!

congratulations on being awesome.

big hugs and shooting stars and platypus teeth.
<3

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home